Home Security Tips for the New Year
Have a Safe and Happy New Year, from Advantage Systems Group!
As we enjoy the holiday season it is easy to forget to make home security a top priority amid the family, friends, and festivities. We can’t, however, allow our defenses to be down. Burglaries and fires spike during the holiday season. Whether you are cleaning up the remnants of Christmas or enjoying having company, you may be doing things that weaken your home security.
Why do Burglaries and Fires Spike During the Holidays?
There are many ways that we unwittingly make ourselves more vulnerable to crimes and mishaps during the holiday season. Here are just a few examples.
- Throwing away trash that identifies high-ticket items that may be in the house
- Leaving doors unlocked for guests
- Leaving garage doors open
- Posting vacation photos indicating the home is unoccupied
- Leaving Christmas trees up when they are dry and vulnerable to fire
- Relying on outdated home security technologies
- Not arming the security system
Improve Your Home Security 2020
It may be impossible to completely prevent burglaries, fires, and other unfortunate events but with today’s security technologies and better security practices, you can get close. Here are the top home security tips for 2020.
- Get your current home security system evaluated. There may be newer technologies you’d like to integrate to improve security and functionality.
- Consider indoor and outdoor video surveillance.
- Use smart home automation to simulate occupancy while you are away from home.
- Use video doorbells to monitor activity and deter crime.
- Improve outdoor lighting by using motion-triggered lighting.
- Ensure all smoke, fire, carbon monoxide alarms are in working order.
- Use professional alarm system monitoring.
- Dismantle gift boxes and throw away in a trash can.
- Never post vacation plans online.